Articles

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Colombian who came to U.S. alone at 16 is heading to Harvard

Colombian immigrant Carolina Salguero came to the U.S. as a teenager alone and not knowing a lick of English, but she carried a dream with her : to study science.

Thursday, the 28-year-old graduated from Hunter College with a double major in biochemistry and economics  and a full ride to Harvard University awaiting her this fall.

"I never gave up on science.

I am really excited I made it.

I am what I wanted to be," Salguero told the news with tears in her eyes.

"Dreams do come true. You've just got to work hard at it." she said. "I've just never given up on trying to become my dream."

Salguero's parents sent her to Miami in search of a better life when she was just 16.

She spent eight years bouncing around the country, but never lost track of her dream.

She moved to New York four years ago after she was accepted to Hunter College with a scholarship to study science.

"She put on a lab coat and followed her dream with great success," Hunter College President Jennifer Raab said yesterday.

"Her biology research at Hunter led to a summer program at Yale and many awards, including a Jonas Salk Scholarship, CUNY's highest science honor."

Raab gave Salguero her last award as a Hunter student at yesterday's graduation at the Javits Center  the first Rosalyn Yalow Achievement in Science Award for a woman with "determination and success."

"She has a vision. She has a dream and nothing is going to stop her," Raab told The News. "I'm so just moved by her determination in addition to her intelligence."

Salguero had "no idea" she would win an award yesterday.

A wide smile grew on her face as Raab announced the award in front of a crowd of thousands that included Salguero's parents and sister from Colombia.

"I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity I've had to be at Hunter," Salguero said.

"They opened the doors for me. I was able to quit work for the first time."

"I hope one day I can be a distinguished Hunter graduate and help a lot of people," Salguero gushed. "I am definitely coming back to help women in science."

She'll have that chance after six years at Harvard, where she plans to earn two master's degrees and a doctorate in public health and molecular biology.

"I'm excited," she said with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your visit, hope you enjoy the content, we expect to see you again soon.